About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Panha

This is a recipe for a fruit drink made out of raw mangoes ideal and cooling for the summer.
Ingredients:
Raw (sour) green mangoes : 2 no.s (Large ones peel and cube)
Sugar : 2 cups
Water : 1 cup
Ginger : 1/4 inch (cleaned and grated)
Pepper powder : 1 pinch
Salt : 1 pinch

Method:

Cook the cubed mangoes in 1 cup of water in thick bottomed vessel till soft and done. Add the sugar and boil till sugar dissolves well . Add pepper, salt and ginger shreds and let boil till the fluid thickens slightly. Remove from stove and cool. Put in a blender to blend. Store in the fridge and use like squash by adding cold water and ice before serving. If you do not like ginger you can do without it.

No comments: