About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Friday, November 18, 2022

Simple Upma


Ingredients:

Bombay Rava: 1 1/2 cups ( rava is semolina, use medium rava not bansi rava)
Green chillies slit: 5
Curry/karbev leaves: 7 or 8
Fresh ginger chopped to tiny: 1 tsp piece
Grated coconut: 1 1/2 cups
Mustard: 1 tsp Udid dal : 3 tsp
Refined cooking oil : 3 to 4 Tbsp ( add 1/2 teaspoon ghee if desired)
Boiling water : 3 cups
Salt: to taste

 Method:
In a wok add the oil, and when hot add mustard seeds. When mustard splutters add udid dal and fry till golden brown. Next throw in green chillies, chopped ginger and curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds don't roast-green chillies should be green!. Now add the rava and salt, mix well and saute for 2 minutes. Add boiling water slowly and keep stirring till the water completely covers the ingredients in the wok. Cover and let cook for 3-5 mins on low flame. Finally spread the coconut scrapings on top and serve hot at breakfast or at tea time.

No comments: