About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Baingan (egg-palnt/brinjal) masala



Ingredients:

Tender Green or purple brinjals : 250 gms
cut into longish pieces and
keep in a vessel covered
with water)
Refined oil : 3 Tbsps
Tomatoes (Ripe) : 2
Onion Large (Chopped fine) : 1
Garlic pods : 4
Chilli powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tsp
Til (sesame seeds) : 1 tsp
cinnamon : a small piece
Fenugreek / methi seeds : 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves : 10 nos.
Salt : as per taste.

Method:
In a thick pan add a teaspoon of oil and add the cinnamon,garlic pods and onions and fry till onions are transparent. When cool put in a mixie and grind to a coarse consistency.In the same pan add two tablespoon oil and add the methi,til seeds, roast lightly and then add karbev(curry leaves)and saute. Now add chopped tomatoes and saute well. When done add the onion paste and fry till oil leaves the sides of the pan. Remove this masala and keep aside. In the same pan add the remaining oil and when hot put the brinjal pieces and add salt and sprinkle water,cover and cook till done. Finally add the masala to the cooked brinjals, mix well and cook on low flame for 5 minutes till blended. Serve hot with rice or chappathis/rotis.

No comments: