About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Sunday, May 08, 2022

Tomato Pickle


This is a recipe I found on Indianfood About.com.(http://indianfood.about.com/od/picklesandpreserves/r/andhratomato.htm)It comes out well, I have made slight variation while making it as follows. It is supposed to be made hot as it is mixed with hot rice and ghee and consumed.

Ingredients:

* 1 kg firm red tomatoes washed and cubed
* 6 tbsps sesame oil (you can substitute this with vegetable refined oil)
* 2 lime sized lumps of tamarind
(remove seeds and soak in a little hot water to soften)
* 8-10 green chillies (adjust these to your taste if this amount
is too/less hot for you)and 2 tsp redchilli powder
* 2 tsps fenugreek seeds
* 2 tsps cumin seeds
* 2 tsps mustard seeds
* 1/2 tsp asafoetida
* Salt to taste

Preparation:

In a deep pan, heat 3 tbsps of sesame oil and add tomatoes. Fry until they
are soft and then mash roughly.Grind the tamarind,red chilli powder and green chillies into a paste and add to the mashed tomato paste.
In another pan heat 3 tbsps of sesame oil and add the mustard seeds.
When they splutter add the fenugreek seeds and fry. Now add the asafoetida and remove from the fire.Pour this hot mix onto the tomato-tamarind-green chilli paste and mix well.
Allow to cool and store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator.Use only dry spoon.Eat with plain hot rice with fresh hot ghee or chapati/dosas or as an accompaniment with other dishes.