About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Dhal Dosa ( ADAI)

Adai (Dhal Dosa )( Break-fast item )

Ingredients:

Boiled rice : 1 cup
Bengal Gram dhal : 1 cup ( Chana Dhal)
Thuvar dhal : 1 cup
Urad dhal : 1 1/4 cup
Curry leaves or : as desired, chop fine
Drumstick leaves
Fresh Coconut scrapings : 1/2 coconut
Hing(asafoetida) : 1/4 tsp and Salt
Green chillies and red chillies, quantity as desired. This is not to be made very hot, so you can adjust the number of chillies

Method: Wash and soak the dhals and rice for 3 hours. Drain the water and grind in a mixie till coarse along with the chillies. If necessary grind rice coarse separately and then mix well with the coarsely ground dhals. Add salt,coconut scrapings and chopped curry /drumstick leaves. Mix well and make thick dosas adding oil in the edges and center. Must not be cooked on high flame, cover and cook, turn and cook again till roasted golden in colour. Eat hot with with coconut chutney.

This is a highly nutritious breakfast item and the nutrition value increases if using drumstick leaves which are a high source of calcium, Vitamin C and iron and low in calories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog Amma. Thank you for giving us many recipes and advice. I really thank you for this.

Radha