About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Thursday, February 09, 2023

Pepper Chicken

Ingredients: 
(A) Broiler chicken : 600 gms (good pieces) 
Ginger-garlic paste : 1 Tbsp each 
Curds/yoghurt                    : 150 ml 
Vinegar : 1 Tbsp 
Salt : 2 tsp 
Chili powder : 1 tsp 
Haldi/Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp (B) 
Large onions : 2 Chopped and ground coarsely in a mixie 
Ginger garlic paste : 1 Tbsp 
Coriander/dhania powder : 1 Tbsp 
Pepper : 2 Tbsp pepper corns freshly powdered 
Garam masala powder : 1 tsp  (you can buy a branded pack of Garam masala
Green chillies (slit) : 4 
Tamarind lime size : soak in water and extract thick juice 
Curry leaves(karbev) : 10 to 15 
Refined oil : 6 Tbsps or 100 ml 
Salt : 1 tsp ( adjust salt) 

For seasoning : Coconut oil/rice bran/sunflower oil, 1 tspfull mustard seeds ,2 dry red chilies and few curry leaves. 

Method: 
Mix the items under (A) and marinate the chicken pieces in it for 1 hour. Take a thick pan and pour the oil into it. Keep on stove and when hot add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté. 

When the raw smell goes, add the onion paste and saute, add the the garam masala, pepper, dhania/coriander powder, slit green chilies and karbev(curry leaves) leaves next and saute well. Keep turning till the mixture is fried nicely and oil is leaving the sides of the mixture. 

Add salt and the marinated chicken pieces, pour the tamarind juice. Mix well and cover and allow to cook adding very little water to help in cooking the chicken pieces. Instead of water you can also use 1/2 cup of coconut milk for cooking the chicken in the gravy. This enhances the taste of the curry.The chicken pieces should cook well in about 15 minutes. Finally season with the seasoning items and decorate with chopped coriander leaves . Serve hot with chicken biryani. This is a spicy Southie Indian chicken curry.

2 comments:

vandana rajesh said...

Hi, the pepper chicken looks so good. Chicken dishes are a favorite in my home with hard core non-veggies. This is added to my must try list. Thks for sharing the recipe.

Grandma Lilly - said...

Hi,
when I prepared this recently, I made a slight variation-added 1 cup of coconut milk for cooking the chicken in the masala and the curry tasted even better it seems-I don't eat NV, so it is the others who tell me how the curry tastes.