About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kadgi Sukkhe(Raw Jack-fruit dry curry-side dish)

Ingredients:

  1. 8" long Raw Jack-fruit (kadgi) , outer thick skin peeled and cubed.
  2. Coconut scrapings : 1 cup (250 ml cup)
  3. Red chillies : 6 no.s
  4. SeedlessTamarind : Lime sized, soak
  5. Urad dhal : 2 tsps
  6. Oil , mustard and karbev (curry) leaves for seasoning . Salt to taste.
Method:
Cook the kadgi pieces in very little water in a cooker for 1 whistle. When cooled, drain the water and keep for use later. Now crush the kadgi pieces lightly with a pestle.

In a small pan (panna dhavlo or panna kayili) add 1/2 tsp oil and fry the urad dhal and chillies till golden brown.

Grind in a mixie coconut scrapings, tamarind pulp and chillies to a medium coarse paste with less than 1/2 cupwater used for boiling the kadgi pieces. Add the roasted urad dhal now in the mixie and run it only for 15 seconds. This way the flavour of roasted urad dhal is preserved.

Now take a bigger kadai (pan), pour the oil, when it is hot add mustard seeds and when it splutters, add curry leaves. Now add the cooked kadgi pieces and mix well.Then add the coarsely ground masala and salt. Mix well and cover and cook for 10 minutes taking care to stir it now and then. The curry should be dry.This is a typical side dish in a Mangalorean Konkani meal.

If you replace urad dhal with a one tablespoon of coriander seeds, then this curry becomes "chakko".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! So delicious!

KonkaniBlogger said...

I love kadagi in any form :)..Its so delicious and gels so well in everything.

Vani said...

I just posted a cauliflower sukke on my blog! I have not tried kadgi sukke yet but would love to!

Suparna said...

Hello Ammamma,

Yumm...I love kadgi.chakko, phodi and sukke woooo!Thanks for the recipe.
TC